Friday, November 11, 2011

Reflections on 911 Ten Years Later by J. Wesley Beeks, Jr

When the 911 event happened I was scheduled to work as a production assistant on a television show. I was originally to have that final interview at 8:30 am and the studio was located one block from the Twin Towers. The day before I decided to reschedule the time to the afternoon as something in me urged me to do so. I awoke that day to the cries and shock of the tower being hit by one plane and then another one. I had a god sister who is a chef and did her apprenticeship at the restaurant on top of the tower. She did not go that day as we both decided to reschedule. I was in disbelief at what happened and what was still to come. I had friends and family who worked at Port Authority in the vicinity. The phone lines were jammed and little information got through. Using a secondary network I was able to relay information on who was okay. Our neighbors all work together to share information and much needed comfort. Everyone I knew was well and survived. My god sister did experience trauma as she walked over the bridge over the slew of dead bodies and appendages that the news did not want to cover. She had trouble sleeping for weeks and I was able to convince her to see a therapist.

After ten years have passed I have been aware of the greater need for humanity as a collective to reach out to one another. Kindness was increased a thousand fold and people actually stopped to speak to one another. It was as if the society was reconnected and the technology took a backseat to humanity and we embraced one another again. Strangers became less distant and family members not spoken to in years reconnected. This time has increased my awareness that mental health is a primary concern in our society. The trauma experienced by those directly in 911 opened other repressed trauma and the flood gates were pouring out. I counseled more actively and looked within the dark parameters of myself and found that the simple acknowledgement of this was profound. My relationships changed. What was not functional and healthy I removed and only kept what was substantial in my life. Neighborhoods became smaller and less distant by class, ethnicity, economics and status replaced by general awareness and compassion. Faith was tested and what endured was the foundation of love, good character, simplicity, and graciousness. I am thankful that I listened to my inner voice and did not go at the original time, doing so would have had a different ending. Embracing the compassion and duty of our fellow civil servants was astounding as their stories traced how fundamental it is to serve with devotion, duty and simple caring.

Yes after ten years the humanity remains and there is less disconnect and profound acceptance that mental health has to be ingrained in our society. I am thankful that my friends and family were protected and we remain stronger today. In summation my family extended past blood relations to those who lost family members and we became family.





No comments:

Post a Comment